Our job as marketers is to help people make decisions. But before we can hope to influence people’s decisions, we need to understand how their brains really work—how people are wired, neurologically speaking.
Enter Tim Ash, author of Unleash Your Primal Brain: Demystifying How We Think and Why We Act. Tim’s an expert in evolutionary psychology and digital marketing. In this episode of Marketing Smarts, Tim shares his expertise in evolutionary psychology and digital marketing, distilling his research into tips you can use today to make your marketing more effective.
We talk about how to tap into the right emotions to drive action, why every buying decision is emotional (even in B2B industries), and much more.
Here are just a few of the points we cover:
- Designing for the rational brain is a mistake.
- Memories aren’t accurate; they’re distorted and inaccurate (and that matters for marketers).
- Marketers shy away from referring to pain and fear and loss in their messaging, but people are much more attuned to that than to upside gain.
- Understanding the brain plays an important role in marketing techniques.
- Can people make any decision without emotion?
- The pandemic has caused changes in human behavior.
Listen to the entire show now from the link above, or download the mp3 and listen at your convenience. Of course, you can also subscribe to the Marketing Smarts podcast in iTunes or via RSS and never miss an episode.
This episode brought to you by Dun & Bradstreet Account Based Marketing:
Dun & Bradstreet, a leading global provider of business decisioning data and analytics, enables companies around the world to improve their business performance. Dun & Bradstreet’s Data Cloud fuels solutions and delivers insights that empower customers to accelerate revenue, lower cost, mitigate risk, and transform their businesses.
“Marketing Smarts” theme music composed by Juanito Pascual of Signature Tones.